Tuesday, December 5, 2006

Pita Tacos

We were in the mood for Mexican food. Its really hard to find chili or taco seasoning in stores here. I have seen it in a few specialty stores around Modiin, but that’s about it. Someone on the internet was kind enough to give me a recipe and I modified it to fit what I had on hand. Here it is:

Sid’s Israeli Taco Spice

Ingredients:

2 tablespoons flour
1 teaspoon hot paprika
1 teaspoon sweet coarse Hungarian paprika
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon Charif Adom (red crushed chili mix)
1/2 teaspoon Frank’s Red Hot Sauce
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground oregano
a dash of cinnamon (optional)

I put 1lb of frozen ground beef into a covered pan with 1 cup of water. Once the water was boiling, I slowly flipped and mashed the ground beef until it was broken apart into small pieces. I left it simmering on a low flame until most of the water had evaporated, and added in the above spices with a bit of olive oil and water. I turned the flame back up to high for a moment and browned the meat. I then added just a bit of boiling water to make a bit of sauce.

The meat is served in a pita with chummous, techina and salads. I cut up a whole mess of lettuce, tomatoes, onion and cucumbers to stuff the pitas with, and some new pickle mix.

Bon appetite!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That sounds amazingly good, though it could be improved by putting either Moshe or myself in the kitchen to add garlic every time you turn your back.
On what date can a person legitimately begin to consume Chaunaka doughnuts? Because I had one yesterday, but I don't know if it counts or not. So I thought I would seek your opinion on the matter. I thought about Macabees while eating it, if that adds any legitimacy. Probably not.

Sid said...

I was actually in the middle of a post about just that, stay posted, same bat time, same bat channel...