Friday, December 1, 2006

Happy December

December is finally here, and it’s going to be a great month. Among the many events happening this month: my army enlistment day, Shira’s birthday, Chanukah and of course, the advent calendar on NeoPets.

I didn’t know what the advent calendar really was until one of my friends from the UK told me that she was excited about the chocolate and gifts one gets in December from the advent calendar. Thinking she was referring to the NeoPets advent calendar which gives free items every day during December, I told her how my NeoPet, HelenDixon, now has over a million neopoints and has been looking forward to December all year long. It was a bit of cultural miscommunication, and after a bunch of emails back and forth, me figured it all out.

If you have no idea what NeoPets is, don’t worry, neither did I. I was introduced to it by my seven year old sister Emunah about a year and a half ago. Since then, I have perfected my neopoints earning strategies and wasted an endless amount of time on the site. The games are addictive, you can collect endless items, and there is a whole community of people out there playing all the time. It’s amazing how a site that appeals to kids holds the same fascination for adults as well. It’s hard to describe the allure and the endless places in Neopia for you to explore. I think the best way to understand it all is to try it out for yourself. You can sign up for an account here.

My Neopet, HelenDixon, is named after my friend Helen Dixon who I met at the Tel Rehov excavation in 2005. She is from Georgia, always has a story, and is a wonderful person to be around. She has long red hair which was the natural inspiration for my red neopet. As Helen puts it, she has the perfect name to run for President because it looks great on a campaign poster. It’s a great looking name because it has five letters and five letters and has a memorable ring. I am sure when she grows up; the world will need a US President fluent in ancient languages.

Back to advent calendars, I did a little research and was told my Mr. Wiki the true meaning on advent calendars here.

In short, the traditional calendar consists of two pieces of cardboard on top of each other. Twenty four doors are cut out in the top layer, with one door being opened every day, from December 1 to December 24. Many calendars have been adapted by merchandisers and manufacturers to include a piece of chocolate or a sweet behind each compartment, aimed at children.

I always thought that while everyone just had the one day of Christmas, we had eight days of Chanukah. Now it seems that some people have a whole month of chocolate and presents. I think we should start a movement to make an entire holiday season, say half a year, with presents, chocolate and school vacation. Although now that I think about it, when I was growing up we had to go to school on Chanukah, and I am sure a candy season would not be that good for anyone’s teeth.

I think Ill stick with the traditional Chanukah, where we take everything and deep fry it.

No comments: