Saturday, December 2, 2006

Perl's pepperoni supply is getting low

So it’s finally happened. I am down to my last package of Perl’s pepperoni. A friend from Toronto was kind enough to send me a dozen packages of pepperoni before my excavation this summer at Tel Zaharah. Since airmail was more expensive than the pepperoni itself, he opted for the slow boat via China method, and it took about four months to get here. I don't know how it was sent, but it sure took a long time. I didn't even get charged by customs, I guess they figured no one would actually send meat in the mail.

It was triple sealed and double packed, everything got here without a dent. Over the past three months or so, I have been carefully rationing my pepperoni sticks. I knew the day I would run out was coming, I tried a number of different Israeli alternatives, but you know what they say, nothing tastes like home.

With Perl’s out of commission for the next while, I can’t really get more; I was hoping to take some with me to the army. I am going to have to be resourceful and have someone bring me some as soon as they are back open. I can’t imagine waiting months longer so another treat. I am actually a much bigger fan of the real Perl’s pepperoni, but it wont stay preserved as well as the pepperoni sticks will. Well, I guess absence makes the heart grow fonder.

1 comment:

Leah Goodman said...

Hehe. I was reading this, and I had the same sad thought. My mother-in-law lives across the street from Perl's, and we flew in from the US on a Friday morning (our flight was meant to land Thursday night, but there was fog...) about a week after the fire. We'd been planning on getting Shabbos food at Perl's... In the car on the way back from the airport, we were a bit disappointed to discover this was no longer an option...

We ended up getting prepared food at Toronto Kosher, but my husband was very disappointed about Perl's being gone.