Saturday, December 23, 2006

First week down

It’s been a very long and exhausting week. The transition from civilian to military life has been drastic, but I seem to be catching on quickly.

From my first day at Bakum (the central in-processing base near Tel Aviv) getting processed and receiving my uniform to starting my basic training in Michveh Alon in the North, it’s been interesting, and quite the adventure. I am located near Tzfat, close to Mt. Miron. I have never done so many pushups, or have to calculate the difference in seconds polishing boots or brushing teeth. I have been keeping notes of what I have been doing during the day, more on that when I am not passing out. I have to be on a bus heading back to the base in less than 10 hours, so more updates on my next weekend off.

2 comments:

Eliana said...

You survived your first week!
While you were in the army I was in misrad Hapnim, getting my teudat maavar so that I can run away, and then come back. I helped a lady fill out her forms. She asked me for help becasue she thought I was a christian russian like she was. We both had a laugh over that, and had a very nice conversation. Please be carefull and don't get in trouble. Oh look at me, I sound like mother. Mother Theresa. Remember that? Oh well. Can't you ditch the army and come back to ulpan? Wow here I go getting all sentimental. Its as if I'm turning your comment page into its own blog. bye.

IsraeliDiary said...

Hey man,
Thanks for posting in my blog, and more importantly thank you for letting me read yours.

It's good that you document your days at Basic training. It's a period that changes your life, a unique transition that affects pretty much every aspect in your life.

I must also say that it's a really great thing you've accomplished, coming to Israel and contributing to the country by serving in the Army. I really respect people like you. Hopefully the country will repay its debt to you.

Wishing you much luck with your military service and looking forward to reading more of your stuff.