Saturday, November 25, 2006

Toasted Parmesan

Toasting parmesan cheese might sound like a great idea, but as I found out the hard way, it’s not. Think about it, wonderful little crumbs of lightly toasted and slightly crispy cheese, what could be better? After thinking about it and realizing the only thing standing between me and the realization of my dream is action, I got busy. The first stupid thing was using baking paper instead of tinfoil. The second was probably forgetting about it while it was baking. The resulting fire was probably caused by the baking paper igniting, incinerating any traces of parmesan cheese. It was doused with a coffee cup full of water conveniently sitting in the sink, and disaster was averted. The toaster is fine and so are we; the cheese was unfortunately beyond salvage. I guess its back to the gastronomic drawing board.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That sounds sort of like what happened when I tried to put a hamburger, still in it's wrapper, into the toaster oven once. Except that I didn't avert the disaster at all. I screamed and through the flaming paper onto the wooden floor. Then my brother ran over and stomped it out. Heating coils are tricky animals.