Saturday, November 11, 2006

Grey Socks: My Army Adventure Begins


The adventure all began with a pair of thick woolen socks. While shopping in Shuk HaCarmel in Tel Aviv Friday, I spied them scrunched up in a corner, lying on a small shelf in the sock shop. Socks are the first item on my list of things to buy for the army, warm, thick, grey wool socks. I bought a couple pairs, and got a fifty percent discount from the sticker price. I think twenty shekels for two pairs is reasonable, but I have a feeling I could have negotiated for a better price. Of all the things I need to get before the army, socks seem like the most straightforward item on the list. I understand what I need to do with the socks, where they go and why. Other things on the list are a little more puzzling. Items on the list are varied, small items (matches), large (knapsack) and even esoteric (razor blades, even if you have a beard, shower sandals, and a watch strap). I have been asking friends how the two foot elastics to hold up pants’ cuffs and what they call a long shackle lock are used; I guess I will find out in the army. Most of the list seems fairly straightforward, featuring such items as a spare toothbrush for gun cleaning, shoelaces, duct tape, safety pins, a flash light and lots of cord for tying things. I found the most interesting item on the list “Toilet paper (absolutely essential)”. It seems that with key items like toilet paper, bringing your own is the best policy, and it’s probably better to be prepared and have some on hand. Another bonus listed in the chart was information about mailing letters; it seems that within Israel post is free. I don’t know how much time I will have for letter writing, and since it’s a small country I imagine I will be making it home every so often, but it’s still nice to know I can mail home a letter now and again. Within in the next six weeks or so I am going to be picking up everything else I need for the army. I feel that getting socks is the first step, now that they are sitting in my bag, going to the army seems all real.

The list they gave me is as follows below. I have another list of other items from the Mitgayasim book, which lists some additional items, but this seems to cover the basics.

Although the army takes care of all your basic physical needs, you will need to bring some personal equipment from home. The items recommended in the following list will go a long way toward facilitating your basic training and service.

• Personal first aid kit with bandaids (plasters,) mosquito repellent, aspirin and personal medications.
• Plastic bags to organize and separate your clothes and equipment as well as to keep everything dry and dust-free.
• Elastic (about 2 feet in length) for garters (gumiot) to hold up your pants' cuffs and also for eyeglasses.
• Pocket or draftsman's knife (olar) used for everything from opening packages to cutting materials.
• Razor blades (even if you have a beard,) matches and candles are required for basic training.
• Siddur, Talit, and Tefillin for observant soldiers; the army also supplies these upon request.
• Waterproof felt tip pen for marking all your army equipment with your name and serial number.
• Pen, paper, envelopes, and air letters (stamps are not necessary for domestic mail).
• Telephone telecards.
• Length of stout cord for a clothes line, holding up your pup tent, tying together blankets with loose equipment and a hundred other uses.
• Small flashlight.
• Toilet paper (absolutely essential).
• Small screwdriver for cleaning your weapon.
• Long shackle lock to lock your kit bag.
• Laundry soap for washing out socks and underwear when you can't go home on leave.
• Shoe polish, black or brown, depending on what branch you serve in.
• Safety pins for pinning tags on your uniform.
• Shower sandals (kafkafim).
• Extra gray socks, shoelaces and underwear.
• Toiletries and hand soap.
• A covered watch strap.
• An old toothbrush for cleaning your weapon.
• Electrical tape.
• Sheet (optional).
• Towel.

It is usually not necessary to have more than one set of civilian clothes with you.

No comments: