Saturday, November 11, 2006

Scuba Diving in the Red Sea


This is an article I wrote for the Good News newsletter in Mevo Modiim, its all copyright, please contact me if you want to quote, or rip me off.

Scuba diving, like everything else in life, can be exhilarating, challenging, exciting, and tons of fun. Diving is a unique learning experience, with many things to see and do in the vast unexplored depths of the oceans.

I first thought about learning to scuba dive a few years ago. At the time, I was debating taking flying lessons or learning to dive. Scuba diving won out in the end as it was cheaper, seemed more fun, and you got to stay on, or below the ground. You meet all sorts of interesting people from all over the world who are diving enthusiasts, with all different interests and backgrounds. I have met people who dive for golf balls, dive to see sharks, dive under ice, dive to explore, dive for work, and of course, people who dive for fun. The cool thing about diving is that since the world is mostly water, you can pretty much find some type of diving that interests you.

Learning to dive was very fun and challenging. Instructors are with you each step of the way, and work at your pace to ensure you learn and memorize all the required procedures. Learning to dive is not really about actually learning how to dive; rather it’s all about what to do if something goes wrong. I felt confidant knowing that in case of an emergency, I knew what to do and could do it in my sleep. You drill over and over and work with your equipment, eventually you can do most things without even thinking about it. I took my confined water dives in a swimming pool near my house, and often went back to the pool just to play. There is nothing like riding a bike underwater, or playing underwater Frisbee. I found I could suddenly do back flips and had total freedom of motion. There is really nothing like it without going into space.

All the preparation, classes, and practice don’t prepare you for the first time you go diving in open water. I always thought diving in the practice pool was amazing, but nothing compares to seeing an entire new and exciting underwater world. I found that once I got used to the idea of breathing underwater and became calm enough to have fun, I had an amazing time. Weightless, you soar over beautiful coral formations, schools of fish, and gain an entirely new perspective. It feels like flying, except you have a scuba tank strapped to your back instead of a tiny Cessna.

As you start to descend, you realize that what appeared to be an empty, vast body of water is actually teaming with plant and animal life. In every direction, there is something colorful and to look at, it’s like walking through Times Square, there is always something to look at. As you get deeper, the light begins to dim slightly, and you begin to feel the temporary panic of being too far under to just swim back up, and too close to the surface to give up. I usually take a moment to adjust and relax, and keep on descending. Its at this point you work out overcoming your fears, and rely on your training to keep you safe, and get to the business of having fun.

Being safe and cautious is the most important trait of a good diver, knowing that you are within your limits lets you get out and have a great dive. Diving is like driving, if you stay on the right side of the road, you’re usually OK.

Israel has some particularly good diving spots. Many marine life enthusiasts dive in both the north and south of the country. I have several friends who do an annual dive in Yehudia national park in the north, while you don’t see any fish; you sure find a lot of interesting things people dropped into the pools. It’s important to remember we are responsible for our fragile ecology, and try not to hard plant or animal life while in the water. My diving instructor’s motto is, take pictures and leave only bubbles so someone else can enjoy. I hope you give diving a try, it’s really the thrill of a life time.

No comments: