Saturday, November 18, 2006

My third Kilo Burger at Norman's in Jerusalem

Last week we all went out to Norman’s in Jerusalem’s German Colony and had a few kilos of meat. Yes, I said a few kilos, as is twice that many pounds. Scott, Rob, Shira, my Dad and I went out for lunch and ordered just about everything on the menu. I ordered my kilo burger well done. The burger came on two buns of half a kilogram each (the patties) to ensure they were, as I put it, “very, very, very well done”. The burger platter came with a side of fries, pickles, and salad. Scott ordered the huge 700g steak, and we shared both. Shira, Scott and Rob all ordered the pumpkin soup for an early American thanksgiving, my Dad and I ordered the beef stew based on a tomato soup, as Canadian thanksgiving was a while ago. Following the soup, we had a platter of Israeli starters, including kubah, egg rolls, chummous, Moroccan cigars, and chicken wings. The service was fast and excellent. Pitchers of diet and regular coke later, we were in the midst of the main course with a steak sandwich for Rob, a steak for Shira, and a chicken breast lunch special for my Dad. The steak Shira ordered as part of the lunch special looked like the baby sibling of Scott’s steak, which he had grilled to medium-rare. Once we shared our orders, I had to send my steak back and had it re-cooked to extra well done. The steak and burger were excellent. Scott took home the “I ate a Kilo Burger” T-Shirt as I already had two from previous outings. I did get to keep the frequent client card however, you never know when I free burger or steak could come in handy. Checking the Norman’s site the other day (http://www.normans.co.il/) I found my name on the wall of fame. I don’t think it’s something you can do very often and not have dreams of marauding cows. The last time I had the kilo burger, was after Tel Rehov in 2005, I had two in the same week and had nightmares for days. I also didn’t eat for about a week, but that is another story. In contrast, at this past summer’s excavation at Tel Zaharah, much of the time spent digging under the blazing sun and resting under the shade of the olive trees during break was spent discussing Normans, kilo burgers, and steak. I suppose that it’s only natural to fantasize about an American style burger when you suddenly find yourself eating kibbutz schnitzel and hard boiled eggs as your major source of protein. I definitely think Norman’s is part of the Israel experience, and not just because of the massive quantities of beef. Sharing the experience with someone back home, you instantly bond in friendship, a life long connection seared in beef and tasty deserts. It’s hard to relate the Norman’s experience to someone who has never been, the best way to find out what it’s all about is to experience it for yourself. I am friends with one the waitresses there from Ulpan, she told me someone once came in and ate two kilo burgers back to back, it put me to shame. I never thought it would be my goal to eat the weight of an encyclopedia in beef, I guess it’s healthier to focus on other life goals. It would be strange getting the reputation as the guy who ate five back to back, people tend to look at you differently if they think you can eat them in one sitting. I guess it’s not a contest; I am quite content having my clothes too big on me. Dessert and tea was excellent, a huge selection, and the vanilla ice cream, although pareve, still tasted great after a few pounds of meat, bread and salads. My third kilo burger was quite an experience, one I am not sure I will be rushing to repeat. So to everyone from Tel Zaharah who dreamed of eating one, and to everyone who has, I look forward to seeing you soon at Norman’s!

The slideshow from my first kilo burger in 2004: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-5465569841486799281

No comments: