Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Training Day

Before joining the army, I was curious, nervous and very excited. I had no idea what was going to happen, and put a lot of irrational fear and over thinking into what it would be like. I researched, checked blogs, scoured the internet, and finally built what I thought was an accurate portrayal of the army in my head. I realized I had no idea what was going to happen when I walked into Ricochet with my friend Josh and ordered everything on my extensive list, a combination of suggestions I had read on the internet, the army’s checklist, and something from the Jewish Agency. I got things I never used, but it’s still good to have some random piece of kit in your bag, just in case. I try to make my motto “always be prepared”, and while I am not much of a boy scout, having a safety pin in your pocket can be real handy sometimes. Leading up to the army, I think I watched Full Metal Jacket way too many times; it really made me expect something altogether different than what actually happened. When we got our rifles for the first time, someone did start singing “this is my rifle, this is my gun” which was an ongoing joke for the English speaking guys during basic training. Everywhere during basic someone was quoting that movie, or someone rattling on about gumbo or Vietnam ala Forrest Gump. In many ways, basic training was a lot like summer camp with guns with a few small differences. Lots of long days, plenty of running around, formations, tons of food, constant snacks, great friends, and plenty of small annoyances. I found it critical to think positive, and looking back I think I had a great time. One of my teammates told me I did a lot of grumbling and always wanted more information about what is coming next. I did remember not being very happy with the first couple weeks and not knowing what was going to happen, eventually we had a posted schedule of the weeks’ activities.

I recently showed a friend who is a former US Marine my pictures from basic and he said he was shocked we looked like we were having a good time. He said “It looks like summer camp, in the Corps they were actually like in the movies”. I love it that in Israel the point of the army is not exclusively to make you the best soldier you can be, they are always thinking about what comes next and how to make you the best civilian you can be. The trips to cultural, national and religious attractions I have gone on in the army have only reinforced how important the country is to the army, and the soldiers who serve in it.

Getting back to basic, I did have tons of questions, I wanted to understand every aspect of the army, and how everything worked. I got to know the term “sheylat kitbag” or kitbag question quite well. It refers to a more or less obvious and idiotic question you pulled out of your army duffle bag that you were saving from when you joined the army. The response to this type of question is also used when the NCO has no idea what the answer is and wants to make something up. For example, our rifles during basic training were long M16’s from the Vietnam era, older than pretty much anyone on the base. One of the NCOs told us that the reason there was a picture of a horse engraved on the side of the gun is because the Colt Company used to be a toy manufacturer. The story goes that they decided to make rifles since it proved to be more profitable than making toys. My friend and I volunteered to research the topic and provide some factual information about the M16, Colt, and the origins of the modern rifle. We went through all the information Wikipedia had on the subject, and came up with a great briefing. During our “camping out” time around the shooting ranges, the entire team sat around in a circle and we shared the story of the M16, from when it was developed post WWII to today.

The army in general is a relaxed place. Soldiers call each other bro, and soldiers address officers by their first name. Saluting is usually reserved for ceremonies and training, everyone is always ready to do what they have to do if required. I love it that people are always so in touch with the folks back home, coming home weekends, constantly on the phone, and always planning weekend activities. Service here is all about making friends, doing a great job, serving the country, and really being a part of something special.

No comments: